Monday 1 March 2010

The Dying Man

If I was to leave here tonight,
I'd pray I'd leave in your arms,
Holding me close like you once did before,
Looking down into my eyes,
As we say our final goodbyes.

To you my young love I leave behind,
No more sadness, tears or smiles,
I see heaven calling,
With its bright stars soaring up high.

High up in the sky,
Where you see the shooting star flying by,
Knowing its taking my soul to rest,
Forever and ever,
I shall be laid to rest.

Remember our fun times,
Our happy times,
The laughter and the smiles,
Remember when our love was new,
When our love grew,
Remember I'll always be here with you.

I never intended to leave this earth,
I wanted to be here til the end of time,
I wanted to get down on my knee,
Ask you to marry me,
Ask you to love me til the end of time.

But now as I lay here slipping away,
Seeing heaven calling out to me,
Knowing my life is slipping away from me,
Holding your hand,
Grip slowly fading away,
Breath slowly coming to an end,
Letting go of your hand.

Heading towards heaven now,
Looking down on you,
Knowing that one day,
You'll be my by my side in heaven.

© Clair Sanders